Darkness (also called lightlessness) is the absence of light. Scientifically it is only possible to have a reduced amount of light. The emotional response to an absence of light has inspired metaphor in literature, symbolism in art, and emphasis.
A dark area has limited light sources, making things hard to see. Exposure to alternating light and darkness (night and day) has caused several evolutionary adaptations to darkness. When a vertebrate, like a human, enters a dark area, its iris dilates, allowing more light to enter the eye and improving night vision. Also, the light detecting cells in the human eye (rods and cones) will regenerate more unbleached rhodopsin when adapting to darkness.
The scientific definition of light includes the entire electromagnetic spectrum, not just visible light, so it is scientifically impossible to create perfect darkness. For example, all objects radiate heat in the form of infrared light and gamma rays, extremely high frequency light, can penetrate even dense materials. --Wikipedia the Free Encyclopedia
WHAT GOD SAYS
WHAT GOD SAYS
- When I snuff you out, I will cover the heavens and darken their stars. I will cover the sun with a cloud, and the moon will not give its light. (Eze 32:7)
- I will darken all the shining lights in the heavens over you, and will bring darkness on your land. This is the declaration of the Lord GOD. (Eze 32:8)
- I will work wonders in the sky above and on the earth below. There will be blood and fire and clouds of smoke. (Joe 2:30 CEV)
- But with an overrunning flood he will make an utter end of the place thereof, and darkness shall pursue his enemies. (Nah 1:8 KJV)
- He bowed the heavens also, and came down. And darkness was under His feet. (2Sa 22:10 MKJV)
- He made darkness a canopy around Him, a gathering of water and thick clouds. (2Sa 22:12)
- I form light and create darkness, I make success and create disaster; I, the LORD, do all these things. (Isa 45:7)
- I will display wonders in the heaven above and signs on the earth below: blood and fire and a cloud of smoke. (Act 2:19)
- The sun will be turned to darkness, and the moon to blood, before the great and remarkable day of the Lord comes. (Act 2:20)
- The sun will turn dark, and the moon will be as red as blood before that great and terrible day when I appear. (Joe 2:31 CEV)
- Then I saw Him open the 6th seal. A violent earthquake occurred; the sun turned black like sackcloth made of goat hair; the entire moon became like blood. (Rev 6:12)
- The 4th angel blew his trumpet, and a 3rd of the sun was struck, a 3rd of the moon, and a 3rd of the stars, so that a 3rd of them were darkened. A 3rd of the day was without light, and the night as well. (Rev 8:12)
- The 5th poured out his bowl on the throne of the beast, and his kingdom was plunged into darkness. People gnawed their tongues from pain and blasphemed the God of heaven because of their pains and their sores, yet they did not repent of their actions. (Rev 16:10-11)
- ...The Day of the LORD is coming; in fact, it is near-- a day of darkness and gloom, a day of clouds and dense overcast, like the dawn spreading over the mountains... (Joe 2:1-2)
NOTE: Bible verses used in this article is based on the Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB). If not, the quoted translation is mentioned.